Here is everything you need to know about the AYL Winter Getaway!
DEPARTURE TIME AND PLACE: We will be leaving on Friday, February 10, but the exact departure time and place varies depending on what school you attend:
- If you are an A@E student, please bring your luggage to school and leave it in Ms. Meltzer's midi lab next to the music room. The bus will pick you up in front of the auditorium at 4:15 PM.
- If you are a Tenafly High School student, the bus will pick you up at approximately 3:30 PM near Tenafly Middle School. Please take your luggage to Gerald Juan's parents' house (54 Columbus Dr, Tenafly, NJ).
- We will also have a pick up at Bergen County Academies at approximately 4:45 PM, so if you attend BCA, please remain on campus until the AYL bus arrives to pick you up. If you are a BCA student, please leave your luggage in Mr. Zhang's science classroom in the morning.
- Students from other schools should make arrangements to get dropped off at the Academies @ Englewood in Englewood, NJ, no later than 3:45 PM. Wait in front of the Dizzy Gillespie Auditorium and look for a ton of Asian students. Please note: The sign in front of the school campus says, "Dwight Morrow High School." The address for the school is: 274 Knickerbocker Rd, Englewood, NJ 07631.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING?
Make sure you bring the following so you can have a great time at the Winter Getaway:
- Warm winter clothes (including gloves, hat, boots)
- Flip flops/sandals
- Athletic clothes for the gym
- Sneakers for the gym
- Additional sneakers or boots that can get wet
- Pajamas (or whatever you wear to sleep)
- Extra socks to keep your feet warm and dry
- Contact lenses and solution
- Snowpants (very helpful)
- Goggles (very helpful!)
- Prescribed medicine (if applicable)
- $50+ for dinner on the way to camp & for lunch at the ski resort plus money for the camp store.
You do NOT have to bring bed linens, pillows, or a sleeping bag. All ski/snowboard equipment (skis/snowboard, boots, helmet) will be provided and is included in the price.
HOW MUCH MONEY SHOULD I BRING?
You will need to bring spending money for two meals not included in the Getaway: dinner on Friday night on the way to Lake Champion and lunch at Big Bear Ski Resort. We recommend you bring $50 extra to cover these meals and anything you may want to buy in the snack bar and store at the camp.
WHAT WILL WE BE DOING?
We want to help you to experience life and to develop meaningful friendships. At Lake Champion
, we will have time to play in the gymnasium and game room, we’ll have our very own AYL club meeting, cabin time to talk about life, plus a ping pong tournament, a boys basketball tournament, and more! On Saturday we will go to Big Bear Ski Resort
where we can ski or snowboard all day! (And if you’ve never skied or snowboarded before, that’s OK because lessons are included in the price!)
Watch the video made by PJ Om below to get a preview of what we did at the Winter Getaway in 2016... and what we will do in 2017!
Check out our Facebook Event Page
to see who else is going or to invite any of your friends. Your friends should be Bergen County high school students who attended the Asian Young Life Christmas Club in December 2016.
WHAT ABOUT SAFETY AND SUPERVISION?
Parents, we want your child to have an amazing but safe experience. Supervision at the Getaway includes local adult leaders who also work as local public school teachers. The overall ratio of adult supervision to teens is 1:10. Male and female housing at the camp is clearly defined, separated, and chaperoned. Students are closely monitored at all times. In addition, a fully licensed EMT will accompany us to the camp and be with us at the ski resort as well. Furthermore, at the ski resort, we require all students to wear helmets, and all snowboarders are required to wear wrist guards as well. In addition, if your child is a beginner, he or she must take free lessons provided by the Big Bear Ski School instructors. Please be assured that the safety and well-being of our young people are our first priorities.
WHERE IS THE WINTER GETAWAY, AND HOW WILL WE GET THERE?
We will be staying overnight at Young Life's Lake Champion
, located at 247 Mohican Lake Rd. in Glen Spey, NY 12737. The camp’s phone number is (845) 856-6871.
We will also be skiing/snowboarding at Big Bear Ski Resort
, located in Lackawaxen, PA. We will be driving to the Getaway in three motor coach buses provided by Campbell Tours of Slippery Rock, PA.
HOW MANY SPOTS ARE LEFT?
As of February 7, there are 4 spots available for alumni only
. Go to our Facebook Event Page
to see who is already registered. If alumni want to register, they should text us at (201) 777-0295 for further instructions.
I STILL HAVE QUESTIONS
Contact any AYL leader or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call/TXT us at (201) 777-0-AYL (0295).